Quick answer: Yes, kiwi skin is edible!
How many hours have you spent peeling, scooping and cutting out the fruit of the kiwi, avoiding the skin at all costs?
At first the kiwi skin might have a weird texture, it might feel rough or hairy to you, but it’s only because most of us have grown up not eating the skin. A lot of the nutrition is in the skin, and there is no reason we should be doing extra work to get rid of the best part of this fruit.
Kiwi’s contain as much Vitamin C as an orange and are also a great source of potassium, magnesium & vitamin E.
Eating the skin makes your prep time quicker, so make sure to clean the fruit well before you eat it and enjoy! Don’t just try it for the first time and say you don’t like it, give your taste buds a chance to get use to it.
Green Smoothie Kiwi Recipe
You all know that I love my green smoothies, so here is an easy green smoothie recipe to fill your stomach with great nutrients!
- 2 kiwi, peeled and halved (I know I just told you the skins are good to eat (they are!) but for the smoothie peel them!)
- ½ banana
- 1 cup baby spinach (You don’t have to be precise, I just fill the blender with spinach)
- ½ cup vanilla yogurt (Use greek yogurt to get extra protein in the smoothie)
- 2 Tbls ground flax seed (optional – but a good source of Omega 3)
- ½ cup apple juice or milk, pick the flavor that tastes best for you
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Place all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth and all of the spinach pieces are unrecognizable.
Do you eat the kiwi skin?